Monday, November 5, 2012

Great Fall Dessert Recipe - Caramel White Chocolate Apple Bars

I work full time so it's difficult to volunteer as much as I would in my daughter's classroom.  At the beginning of the school year I signed up for a couple of the volunteer efforts that play to my strengths.  I get to help the school in some way, a way that is fun for me.

A few weeks ago it was teacher appreciation.  My awesome neighbor and another mom head up that effort. This time around I made a fall inspired dessert that the teachers/staff could eat easily.  I scoured for a recipe that I thought would be good and then I doctored it up.

I decided to make Betty Crocker's Caramel Apple Bars.  I wanted something without nuts and something seasonal.  Rumor has it, they were liked.


(picture from Betty Crocker)

Here are the changes I made, easy ones:

1.) Added 1/2 - 3/4 cup of Ghirardelli white chocolate chips to the 2 cups of reserved oat mixture before adding that as the top layer of the bars before cooking.

2.) Increased the amount of caramels from 1 14 oz bag to 1-1/2 bags, 21 oz total.  You can never have too much caramel.

It's an easy recipe with the most difficult part being peeling and chopping the apples.  If you try the recipe, let me know what you think.



No comments:

Post a Comment