Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Sugar - Winning the Battle and the War

My attempt to give up sugar is just that, an attempt. A lousy one at that. I have been curled up on the couch with chocolate and ice cream. I let my body think it's stress relief is tied eating sweets. It all started about 9 years ago when I had a pretty bad 6 month stretch of events.

The highlights (or rather low lights) were my father having open heart surgery, a tracheotomy and ultimately passing away. I also dealt with a knee injury which was followed by knee surgery, a very difficult recovery and realizing I would probably never get to do the one thing I grew to love, running. Also thrown in there was dealing with panic attacks, switching jobs and being over committed with volunteer work. There was a bright spot during this time. I met the man who became my husband. He stood by me through all of this and is still with me and supportive today.

All of these things are behind me, but the sugar trigger remains.

I have 9 years of bad habits to undo. I need to figure out how to retrain my mind. I'm not going to give up on my quest to eliminate/greatly reduce my sugar intake, I just know it's going to take some time.

2 comments:

  1. start with smaller portions. that is usually how i give up my ice-cream addiction at night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. The fact that you even attempt to give up sugar is amazing. I even think about giving something up and five minutes later I'm indulging in it. I should give something up, and actually do it.

    ReplyDelete