Saturday, July 2, 2011

Third Time is a Charm - I Hope

March 2002 - I tore my ACL while skiing at Homewood in the Tahoe area.  I had ACL reconstruction surgery in May of that year.  The recovery was painful and long and horrible.

August 2006 - While playing tennis, I heard a pop in the same knee referenced above, could barely walk, it swelled up like a balloon.  I had surgery to clean up scar tissue that dislodged itself and also had something called a lateral release (whatever that is).  This recovery wasn't anything like the ACL recovery.  It was much easier and I only had a few days of unbearable pain.

Next Wednesday - Third times a charm, right?  Microfracture surgery to replace missing cartilage on the same knee.  I'm not excited at all.  And it wasn't until this past week that I finally got my arms around what was going to happen, even though this has been scheduled for a couple months. 

I did not have kids during the first two surgeries above.  This time I have an 18 month old and an almost 4 year old.  I'll be on crutches for 8 weeks.  8 WEEKS!!!! 

During the last visit to my Dr., he also told me there were only going to be a few things I couldn't do ever again.  Basketball (fine, I'm short anyway), soccer (fine again, I gave that up when I was 12 and running (WHAT THE HELL!).  Running is the only thing I really like to do for exercise.  I have always held out hope that I could run again one day after my ACL surgery.  I tried a few times, but it was painful.  To be told, once and for all, no more running EVER, sucks! 

And then someone from work tells me to be careful of blood clots after knee surgery, many people die because of it.  Yikes, really.  Next time don't tell me these things! 

Hopefully by Wednesday I can improve my attitude about all of this.  I need to go in with a positive mind set and look at the bright side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment