Friday, May 27, 2011

Memorial Day Recipes - Doing it up BIG

We are going to do it up big this weekend.  My half sister and her husband are visiting my mom and they are coming to our house on Sunday.  I'm so excited to see them, they are wonderful people!

I really can't recall the last time Steve bbq'd.  I don't count the hot dogs and Aidell's sausages he warmed up on the bbq last weekend.  We are going all out with smoked brisket and pulled pork.  YUM with a capital Y-U-M!!!

For the cooking process, Steve uses the recipes for brisket and pulled pork from the The Cook's Illustrated Guide to Grilling and Barbecue.  Really, there isn't another source out there that has allowed us to produced a better quality product. 


 In addition to brisket and pulled pork I'm going to make Ina Garten's super delicious mac & cheese (we skip the tomatoes and sometimes even the breadcrumbs and it's still just as tasty).  If you go this route, be sure to get the real deal Gruyere cheese (Trader Joe's has a great price). 

I'm also going to make a vinegar based coleslaw.  Neither Steve or I like mayo/sour cream, so the traditional coleslaw is out (yuck to the mayo based coleslaw). I'll likely omit the dill. 

I'm also going to make our own rub for the different meats.  I'm going to have to dig those recipes out (hmm, where could they be).  I sometimes make it in bulk during the holidays and give it as gifts.  It's a hit with the in-laws.  

Happy Memorial Day weekend everyone!  Please take a moment or two over this long weekend to remember what Memorial Day is all about (see below). 

(from Wikipedia):
Memorial Day is a United States federal holiday observed on the last Monday of May (May 30 in 2011). Formerly known as Decoration Day, it commemorates men and women who died while in military service to the United States.[1] First enacted to honor Union and Confederate soldiers following the American Civil War,[2] it was extended after World War I to honor Americans who have died in all wars.


No comments:

Post a Comment